Wednesday 17 June 2009

Rescue Dawn: More Herzog

For anyone who follows my Blog, I apologise but you will have to get used to the name, Werner Herzog. What can I say the man is fantastic and I have yet to see a film of his that is anything but genius. The third film I am recommending is Rescue Dawn an unusual departure from his traditional format to what could be described as a typical Hollywood Blockbuster. However it isn't a Hollywood blockbuster in the sense that it's full of CGI and very little else. What it does have is poster boy and part time photography director frightening machine Christian Bale.



Rescue dawn is the true to life story of Dieter Dengler, a german born, American Naval Pilot who was shot down whilst on a top secret bombing missing in Laos during the Vietnam War. Dangler was captured by the Pathet Lao and taken to a POW camp, where he faced starvation torture and all round horribleness. The story follows Denglers journey and subsequent escape.

Herzog continues his familiar trademark of exploring the tormented soul, and manages to create tension like no other. I rarely get so involved in a movie that I mirror the emotions of the main character, however I can hoenstly say that Resue Dawn, had me filled with equal parts fear, apprehension and relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment